Happy New Year! Frohes neues Jahr / Guten Rutsch! З Новим Роком!
2013 was a year full of changes and new experiences for me, like moving to a new country/city, getting an English teaching certificate, and starting an MA program (back to university after three years out). My German improved — and my Ukrainian waned. I also joined an amazing running club in my area of London and was able to spend much of the summer at home in the States with my family and F. Overall, 2013 was a really good year. Here are some more fun statistics summing up the year:
2013 by the numbers:
- blog posts published: 155
- books read: 19 for fun, plus >30 for my MA (including some short stories/poetry/essays)
- visitors hosted in London: ~19
- miles run: 931.89 (76.71 miles less than in 2012, but I cycled and swam more in 2013 so overall probably racked up more mileage)
- qualifications received: 1 Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
- countries been in: England, Belgium, Germany, USA
- memories made: too many to count
Are you satisfied with your 2013?
Looking back, I am satisfied to have achieved most of my intentions for 2013: learning my way around London, living frugally, cycle-commuting, “me” time, exercise time, healthy eating, starting an MA program, and staying in touch with people . I didn’t take advantage of as many free/inexpensive opportunities as I could have, but we did visit quite a few of London’s free museums and markets with visitors.
Here is my non-exhaustive list of intentions for 2014, in no particular order:
- Successfully complete my MA degree
- Expand my skill set in teaching/tutoring, writing, and editing work
- Keep improving my German
- Stay healthy and fit:
- Run a half marathon or two and take part in as many running club events as I can
- Get more comfortable with road cycling by riding or spinning consistently
- Keep exploring London via free/inexpensive activities
- Get a job and work visa after my MA so I can stay in London
- Stay in better touch with friends/family in all parts of the world (make better use of Skype, WhatsApp, etc.)
What are your intentions for 2014?