"Isn’t Ukraine really cold?"

Let’s get one thing straight: though Ukraine (Ookrayeena, or Україна) is an Eastern European country, it is not Siberia. It depends on where you are in the country, but even far north the average winter temperature is -8C/18F. Now I know that seems pretty darn chilly to many of you warm-weather folk, but I grew up in Rochester, NY and went to school in northeast Ohio. I can deal with the cold, people. I’ve gone for runs at 10F — it’s not that bad (quite refreshing and energizing, in fact). As the Norwegian saying goes, “there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.” True that! And Ukrainian summers sound really nice: 18-23C/65-75F and sunny.

On a slightly different note: population distribution. There is an 80% chance I will end up in a relatively rural location and thus, by advanced powers of deduction, a 20% chance that I’ll end up in a city. Ukraine has five cities with >1,000,000 inhabitants: Kyiv, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Dnipropetrovsk, & Odessa. These are mostly in the eastern part of the country. Not sure where I was going with that, but there you go…

More later — please let me know via comments/email if there’s anything specific you’d like me to talk about in future posts!

(Information courtesy of www.tryukraine.com)

3 thoughts on “"Isn’t Ukraine really cold?"

  1. Pingback: Recipe: сирники (syrnyky) | Wherever I am, you are there also

  2. Pingback: Recipe: Four-B Pancakes | Wherever I am, you are there also

  3. Pingback: Summer Singing: An “All-Night Vigil” | Wherever I am, you are there also

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.