Yesterday evening my landlady gave me a bag full of fresh vegetables from her fields: 1 cauliflower, 2 summer squash (squashes?), 6 cucumbers. I’m leaving on Thursday for almost two weeks, so I immediately set to work finding recipes to use up all this delicious produce before I go. Thus was born the following:
Summer Vegetable Garlic-Curry Mash
- 4 cups cauliflower (~1 med. head), coarsely chopped
- 2 cups summer squash (~1 med.), peeled & diced
- 3/4 cup potato (~1 med.), peeled & diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & halved
- 1-2 tsp. curry powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional: golden raisins & peanuts
VARIATION: Leave out the curry powder and instead season with a bit of powdered ginger and parmesan cheese. Toss in some cooked beans to make it a meal.
- Bring milk & garlic cloves to a simmer in a small saucepan & cook 5-7 min. or until garlic is soft
- Boil vegetables in water 7-10 min. or until soft
- Add curry powder & other seasonings to milk/garlic and mix
- Drain vegetables, add milk mixture, & mash to desired consistency
- Hot mash is delicious with a few golden raisins and peanuts stirred in!