Tomatoes are dirt cheap in Ukraine right now: I bought a kilogram (2.2 lbs) for 2,30 UAH yesterday (that’s $0.29!). What to do with the surplus but try out a new recipe? Like the Stracciatella soup a few weeks ago, I also adapted this one from a New York Times recipe, making a few adjustments based on available ingredients. Before you get put off by the ingredient list, let it be known that this is some slammin’ jam(min’)! In other words, it’s freakin’ delicious and you should make it now.
**UPDATE 26 Aug: This jam has gotten three rave reviews (besides my own, of course) in the past week — two by visiting PCV friends, and one by my Ukrainian friend Iryna. All three have asked for the recipe, marking this as one of my greatest culinary triumphs!
- 1.5 lbs ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup sugar (I like it better with less sugar)
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 min – 1 hr 15 min or until thick.
- Enjoy on bread, pasta, rice, or alongside other veggies. Can be stored in the fridge for up to one week.