I stumbled upon a blog recently that led me to this recipe for fried apple cakes. They sounded delicious and easy so I tried them out this morning after my run. I made a few adjustments, renamed them, and they tasted fantastic — they tasted like autumn.
Moist Apple Hotcakes
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- to taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, & salt
- 2-3 tsp sugar
- VARIATION: instead of all flour, divide the 1/4 cup between flour and cornmeal — the cakes become a little denser and gain a nice texture
- Squeeze lemon juice onto grated apple and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly beat the egg and add the dry ingredients to it. Drain excess juice from the apples and add them to the batter.
- Fry on a griddle or in a pan in butter or oil.
- Serve hot, with yogurt/sour cream and honey/maple syrup or a scoop of almond or peanut butter.
[NOTE: the ingredient amounts above make four smallish cakes, about enough for one person. Double/triple/quadruple recipe depending on the size of your group.]