Guess what? It’s beet season again! That makes for a happy Tamm. Beets have lots of fiber and vitamin C and many other nutrients. There’s really no excuse not to eat them. I present you a recipe I have made a few times in the past month or two; it will become a winter staple as the produce selection gets thinner and thinner at the bazaar.
You can vary ingredients as you like; this is the first time I’ve made it with corn, and you could also add potato, pickles, cheese cubes, or chopped hard-boiled egg for some more heft.
Colorful Beet Salad
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- a few green onions, chopped small
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- to taste: salt and pepper
- 1 can of sweet corn kernels
- 1-3 carrots
- 2-4 beets
- Wash beets and carrots and put in a big pot full of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 30-60′, until vegetables are firm-soft. (The carrots will probably cook faster than the beets; take each piece out as it is ready.)
- Meanwhile, combine olive oil, green onions, salt & pepper, and corn in a large bowl and let sit.
- When the beets and carrots are done, let them cool and then peel with the help of a knife — skin should slip off pretty easily.
- Grate carrots and beets into bowl with corn and dressing. Toss and let sit in the refrigerator for a little while so the flavors can blend.