I discovered this recipe yesterday on a fantastic recipe blog, smitten kitchen. My parents are visiting at the moment so I called my mom over to read the recipe with me. “Let’s make this today!” she exclaimed. We had almost all the ingredients on hand and added shredded cooked chicken to make it a complete meal. As with the rest of my favorite dishes, it’s easy, delicious, and nutritious.
Tzatziki Potato Salad (adapted from smitten kitchen)
- 2 kg (4 lbs) potatoes, washed but unpeeled
- 1 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1-2 cucumbers, grated & water squeezed out
- optional: chopped green olives, feta, mint
- Simmer potatoes until they are tender, 20-30′. Drain and let cool.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine the yogurt, sour cream, lemon, vinegar, dill, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl or two.
- Grate the cucumber and squeeze out the water. Add to the yogurt mixture. (Or if you’re lazy like me, just grate it straight into the yogurt mixture and skip the draining.)
- Chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and add potatoes to the bowl. Mix and serve cold or at room temperature.