I discovered this recipe yesterday on a fantastic recipe blog, smitten kitchen. My parents are visiting at the moment so I called my mom over to read the recipe with me. “Let’s make this today!” she exclaimed. We had almost all the ingredients on hand and added shredded cooked chicken to make it a complete meal. As the rest of my favorite dishes, it’s easy, delicious, and nutritious.
Tzatziki Potato Salad (with or without chicken) (adapted from smitten kitchen)
- 2 kg (4 lbs) potatoes, washed but unpeeled
- 1 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine (or vinegar)
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1-2 cucumbers, grated & water squeezed out
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- optional: chopped green olives, feta, mint
- Simmer potatoes until they are tender, 20-30′. Drain and let cool.
- Simmer chicken 20-30′ or until the meat begins to fall off the bone. Let cool and then shred into small pieces. Discard the skin.
- While the chicken and potatoes are cooking, combine the yogurt, sour cream, lemon, wine, dill, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl or two.
- Grate the cucumber and squeeze out the water. Add to the yogurt mixture.
- Chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and add potatoes and chicken to the bowl. Mix and serve at room temperature or cold.