Disclaimer: This recipe was not actually made in Ukraine. It was made in Germany at my boyfriend’s WG, which has a working oven. So maybe it’s cheating a little but it was so delicious that I had to share it.
This summer salad is a combination of two smitten kitchen recipes: this one and this one. Both looked so good to my boyfriend and me that we thought about how the flavors would go together, decided they would work well, and so we combined the two recipes into one delicious dish. Despite having to roast the carrots and make the croutons, overall it is a pretty quick and hands-off recipe.
Tomato, Avocado, & Roasted Carrot Salad with Fresh Croutons
- 1 baguette (a day or two old is okay), torn/chopped into small cubes
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb (500g) carrots, chopped into 1-inch rounds
- 750g cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado
- Olive oil (a generous amount)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (finely grated works best)
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- To taste: salt, pepper, & freshly-ground cumin
- Preheat the oven to 200C ~ 400F.
- While the oven heats, chop the carrots and mix them with olive oil, salt, and freshly-ground cumin and pepper. Bake in the oven for 20-30′ or until the carrots are soft but not mushy.
- Cube the baguette and put the cubes in a large bowl. Add the minced onion and garlic. Use your hands to mix in a generous amount of olive oil along with the parmesan, salt, and pepper. Spread the bread cubes on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 15′ or until they are golden-brown and crispy to your taste.
- The croutons will finish baking before the carrots. When the croutons are done, take them out and turn up the oven to ~230C for an extra 10-15′ for the carrots.
- While the croutons and carrots are baking, cut up the tomatoes and avocado and mix them with olive oil, lime juice, and some extra cumin, pepper, and salt in an large bowl. When the baked items are finished, add them to the bowl. Toss and serve warm or at room temperature.
Смачного / Guten Appetit!