The sun has been trying to come out here in recent days and the temperatures are starting to climb ever-so-slightly. This coupled with the arrival of March and slowly lengthening days make it feel like spring is really on the way.
All these springy feelings prompted me to grab a young green cabbage at the fruiterer’s on Saturday. I’ve been in the mood for fresh, light food recently — probably because I just had to finish all that carrot cake last week — so I spent a couple of days mulling over cabbage possibilities. On Monday during my yoga practice — I know I’m supposed to be focused on my breath and the poses, and I was! But I also happened to be thinking about cabbage — I thought lime and tahini would go well with a simple cabbage salad. So I chopped the cabbage, grated a carrot, threw in some peanuts, and shook up a 3-ingredient dressing. The result? Pure, fresh yum.
- One Year Ago: Video Update: Spring is Coming
- Two Years Ago: International Women’s Day…so much love! and Humor break: stereotypes
Cabbage Salad with Tahini-Lime Dressing
- 1 small green cabbage, chopped/shredded
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 tbsp tahini
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- to taste: ground black pepper
- Shred the cabbage and put it in a colander. Sprinkle the salt over the cabbage and use your hands to mix it together. Let sit for 30-60 minutes, then rinse the cabbage and let it drain.
- When the cabbage is ready, combine it in a bowl with the grated carrot and peanuts.
- Put the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until coated.