Finally, a Joy the Baker recipe that has worked out pretty much perfectly for me. I’m talking about this one, for whole wheat molasses bread. I love that it requires only six ingredients and is relatively healthy: the bulk of the ingredients are whole wheat flour and buttermilk, and the only sweetener is molasses (called treacle here in the UK). A bit of cornmeal gives it body.
And it is so moist. I love that. This bread is great with cream cheese, peanut butter, regular butter, or just plain. Eat it as a dessert, munch on it as a snack, or dip it into soup, like F did. Just go make it and you’ll know what I’m talking about.
Whole Wheat Molasses Bread (from Joy the Baker)
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses (treacle)
- Preheat the oven to 325F (160C). Grease a loaf pan.
- In a big bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and molasses.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined. Spread into the pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean.