This is light, fresh, and filling. The mint and lemon add brightness, while the cumin and sun-dried tomatoes keep everything earthy and grounded. We ate it for dinner with baked sweet potatoes and sautéed kale, though it would be equally as good on its own for lunch. No further introduction needed.
Chickpea, Mint, Cucumber & Cumin Salad (adapted from this recipe)
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp whole cumin seeds
- to taste: red pepper flakes
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- large handful of fresh parsley, minced
- medium handful of fresh mint, minced
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1.5 lemons
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- to taste: sea salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the cumin seeds and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the cumin is toasted.
- Add the minced garlic and cook on medium-low for another minute or two, until the garlic is golden.
- Add the chickpeas and tomatoes to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, on medium-high until the chickpeas are warm.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the parsley, mint, lemon juice, and cucumber. When the chickpea mixture is cooked, add it to this bowl. Salt to your taste and toss, the refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.