The dish should really be called “miso-sesame dressing drizzled over the best roast vegetables.” While that felt a bit cumbersome for the post title, it aptly describes the following recipe, which was inspired by smitten kitchen (of course).
It goes like this: Roast sweet potatoes and broccoli in the oven. Toast some sesame seeds. Make this kale (with or without the garlic). Prepare rice or another grain. Whisk together the dressing. Combine and eat. Simple as that!
While the miso tastes sort of gross on its own, in the dressing it blends beautifully with tahini, rice vinegar, and sesame oil for a smooth mouth feel with a bit of tang. Roast sweet potatoes are one of my favorite things, and broccoli adds flavor, earthiness, and a health kick. We had kale in the fridge, so I decided to sauté it and include that, too. F and I actually found that the rice was superfluous; include it if you want, but the dish certainly won’t be lacking if you leave it out. Feel free to use your own favorite combination of roast vegetables; the dressing is the star of the show here and would go well with most fall and winter vegetables.
- One Year Ago: Ginger-Garlic Leek & Mushroom Stir-fry with Chicken
- Two Years Ago: Things that make life good and Ginger & Split Pea Soup
- Three Years Ago: Базар! and Ukrainian Symbols & Values
Sweet Potato, Broccoli & Kale Bowl with Miso-Sesame Dressing (adapted from smitten kitchen; serves 2-3)
- Vegetables/Bowl Components:
- optional: 1 cup dry rice or other grain, cooked to your liking
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 small-medium head of broccoli, cut into medium-sized florets
- 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
- for baking/sautéing: olive oil, salt & pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey OR 1 scant tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F). Toss the sweet potatoes in some oil, salt, and pepper and place in a large baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, then add the broccoli florets and bake for 15-20 more minutes. When you add the broccoli, start the rice cooking (if using).
- While the vegetables are baking, prepare the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients. Toast the sesame seeds in a pan over medium heat until golden and fragrant. Sauté/steam the kale in some olive oil in a pot over medium heat with the lid on, stirring occasionally.
- When everything is done, serve the potatoes, broccoli, and kale over rice, drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.