Holy moly is this cake good. It’s moist (F said “mega-moist!”), buttery, not too dense, and just sweet enough. Cardamom adds a pleasing depth of flavor. It gets half a point for health, too, because there’s no flour — just ground almonds. I’d been wanting to make an almond cake for a while, and my birthday provided a good excuse to get in touch with my Scandinavian roots and make this delectable cake. I cut mine into squares and passed it around the office at work — it sure disappeared quickly! Guess I better make another one…
Update, 1 Oct 2017: I’ve made this cake repeatedly over the past few years, and it has gotten rave reviews from colleagues, friends, and fellow runners. I’ll definitely keep it in my rotation.
- One Year Ago: Buttermilk Cornmeal Waffles and Cherry-Blueberry Cobbler with Almond Topping
- Two Years Ago: Refreshing Iced Teas (for hot summer days)
- Four (!) Years Ago: It’s real: I’m going to be a Peace Corps Volunteer! and Ukraine: History, Government & the Peace Corps and Overview: Ukrainian People, Religion and Geography
Scandinavian Almond Cake (adapted from Outside Oslo; makes 8 generous wedges or 12-16 squares)
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- just under 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 250g (~2.5 cups) ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 – 1 tsp ground cardamom, or 5-6 pods’ worth of seeds, ground with a mortar & pestle
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Optional: powdered/icing sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 175C (350F) and grease a springform cake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almonds, baking powder, ground cardamom, and salt.
- Fold the dry into the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spread the batter (it will be quite thick) into the cake pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and an inserted knife comes out clean. Let cool and, if you want, sprinkle powdered sugar (icing sugar) over the top.