Visiting my parents in the summer is always fun, in part because there are always so many delicious fresh/seasonal fruits and veggies around the house. My dad and I, finding ourselves alone for dinner on a Friday evening, improvised with what ingredients we had and created a colorful and healthy spread: He made delicious BBQ chicken and I came up with this salad, inspired by Mark Bittman. Add some grilled eggplant, and you have a perfect summer meal.
- One Year Ago: Cycling Martha’s Vineyard
- Two Years Ago: Zucchini Bread Pancakes and Things Ukrainians Write: Collaborative Stories
- Three Years Ago: Berlin
- Four (!) Years Ago: Some random updates
Fresh Corn & Avocado Salad with Basil & Lime (inspired by Mark Bittman; serves 3-4)
- 2-3 generous handfuls of your favorite salad greens
- 4 cobs of fresh corn, blanched & kernels cut off
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- handful of fresh purple basil, minced (feel free to use “normal” green basil)
- small handful of fresh mint, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 glugs olive oil
- to taste: salt & pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and blanch the corn cobs in it for about 5 minutes. Remove the corn from the water, let cool, then cut the kernels off the cobs.
- Combine the corn kernels, diced avocado, minced herbs, and salad greens in a large salad bowl. Squeeze the lime over everything, add some olive oil, salt, and pepper, and toss until the salad is evenly coated.