I was hoping to publish this earlier and now it’s almost March…where have the first two months of the year gone?! The time is flying scarily fast, especially as Baby E grows and develops just as swiftly. In the kitchen, F and I are focusing on more vegetarian dishes (not that we ate a lot of meat beforehand, but we’re now really only buying meat from the market every other week or so. We do regularly eat canned tuna) and thus have tried some great new recipes this winter to add to our already pretty good arsenal of vegetarian meals. Here’s what’s been cooking:
- We’ve made Cupful of Kale’s Thai sweet potato & cauliflower lettuce wraps (with one of the best peanut sauces I’ve yet to discover) twice. Once with the tofu from the recipe, and once with Bon Appètit‘s crispy tofu with maple-soy glaze.
- We’ve also made the crispy tofu with rice and kimchi (as in the original recipe), and as a protein alongside roasted potatoes with the aforementioned peanut sauce.
- Bon Appètit recipes have featured pretty regularly. We get the magazine now and it’s been fun to try a bunch of their recipes (F loves their YouTube channel, too). In addition to the crispy tofu above, we’ve loved the warm winter vegetable salad with halloumi (from Deb of smitten kitchen); it was a hit with friends, too, and scaled well. We also liked the lentil-smothered greens, turmeric salmon with coconut crisp, and the turmeric-coconut curry with pork as one of our few meat dishes of this year.
- We treated ourselves to Priya Krishna’s Indian-ish cookbook and have a new favorite in the chickpea flour green beans, which we’ve already made 3-4 times. The kaddu (sweet and sour butternut squash) is also unexpectedly delicious. The cookbook is a fun read, too.
- In our regular rotation are lentils in various forms as well as weekly salads. We’ve made NYT Cooking‘s baked Brie with quick cranberry jam three times as an accompaniment to a big, crunchy salad. A bit decadent and really yum.
- Surprisingly – or not, because baby – I haven’t baked that much yet this year. I think I made a banana bread in early January, but other that it’s just been two cakes: I craved chocolate cake a few weeks ago so made smitten kitchen’s “I want chocolate cake” cake to share with friend G when he came over for Kaffee und Kuchen one Sunday. Last weekend I made a carrot cake for F’s and my 8-year anniversary (!). Both with indulgent, delicious frostings.
What have you been cooking so far this year?
- One Year Ago: Winter Salad Variations
- Two Years Ago: 50th Parkrun
- Three Years Ago: International Women’s Day 2017: Be Bold For Change
- Four Years Ago: Baking with Hot Bread Kitchen: Chapati
- Five Years Ago: International Women’s Day 2015
- Six Years Ago: This Week in “Issues”: Reading Elizabeth Bishop
- Seven Years Ago: Lemony Roast Chicken and Fennel
- Eight Years Ago: Making a Difference
- Nine (!) Years Ago:“The more music you got in the world the fuller it is”